Intra-ASEAN Steel Trade in 2013

Posted on 13 May 2014
 

Source: SEAISI
Semi-finished and finished steel import trade within ASEAN (intra-ASEAN steel trade) has remained low when compared to the total steel import in the region, accounting for only 4% of the total import in 2013. Imports of semi-finished steel from ASEAN countries dropped significantly by half from 559,000 tonnes in 2012 to 206,000 tonnes in 2013. Intra-ASEAN trade for section also declined by 6% y-o-y although total section import in the region rose by 10% y-o-y in 2013. The major source of supply in the region is Thailand.

Import of bar within the region dropped by nearly half to 73,000 tonnes in 2013. Meanwhile, total import of bar into the region rose significantly by 41% y-o-y. Major source of import within ASEAN was Malaysia. Similarly, intra-ASEAN trade for wire rod declined by half, from 147,000 tonnes to 72,000 tonnes while total wire rod import in the region rose by 37% to 5 million tonnes in 2013.

Intra-ASEAN trade for hot rolled coil, on the other hand, showed an increase of 30% y-o-y, while total import of HRC in the region surged by 18% y-o-y. However, the share of intra-ASEAN trade of the product was negligble at less than 1%.

Intra-ASEAN trade for cold rolled coil was higher, registering 10% of total import in the region and the volume increased by 3% y-o-y, compared to total import in the region which increased by 5% y-o-y in 2013. Within ASEAN, Vietnam is the largest source of supply, exporting about 300,000 tonnes of cold rolled coil to other ASEAN countries in 2013.

Similarly, intra-ASEAN trade for coated sheet also accounted for around 10% of total coated sheet import in the region. The intra-regional trade for the product increased by 24% y-o-y in 2013 while total import of coated sheet in the region rose by 5% y-o-y in the same year. Major sources of supply in the region were Vietnam (490,000 tonnes) and Malaysia (81,000 tonnes).

Pipes & tubes import in ASEAN rose moderately, by 4% y-o-y in 2013. However, the intra-ASEAN trade for the same product declined significantly, by 12%, to 380,000 tonnes in 2013. The volume constituted nearly 10% of total pipes & tubes import in the region. Major sources in the region were Malaysia and Indonesia.

Import of cold finished and cold formed steel in ASEAN rose by 10% y-o-y, around 20% of which was from import within the region. Major sources in ASEAN were Malaysia and Thailand.



«  Back

Copyright © 2016 SEASI Site. All Rights Reserved.